This Valentine's Day, indulge in a cocktail crafting session with your loved one and shake up a tropical Mai Tai to set the mood. This classic cocktail is believed to have been created in the 1940s by Victor J. "Trader Vic" Bergeron, a renowned restaurateur and cocktail innovator. As the story goes, Trader Vic concocted the Mai Tai for some friends visiting from Tahiti, who exclaimed "Mai Tai-roa aé!"—which means "out of this world—the best" in Tahitian. Thus, the Mai Tai was born, earning its reputation as a drink that transports you to paradise with every sip.
Classic Mai Tai Recipe:
- 45ml Nelson’s Signature Blend Rum
- 15ml Dark Rum
- 15ml Orange Curacao
- 10ml Orgeat Syrup
- 25ml Lime Juice
- 10ml Sugar Syrup (optional)
- Pineapple Wedge
- Cocktail Cherry
- In a cocktail shaker filled with cubed ice, combine Nelson's Signature Blend Rum, curacao, orgeat syrup, lime juice, and sugar syrup (if using). Shake vigorously until the outside of the shaker feels cool to the touch.
- Fill a tumbler glass with ice and strain over the cocktail mixture. Slowly pour the dark rum over the top to create a rustic gold layer.
- Garnish with pineapple and a single cocktail cherry for a tropical touch.